20. McMillan R, Bowditch RD, Tani P, et al. A non-thrombocytopenic bleeding disorder due to an
IgG4- kappa anti-GPIIb/IIIa autoantibody. Br J
21. Neunert C, Lim W, Crowther M, et al. The
American Society of Hematology 2011 evidence-based practice guideline for immune thrombocytopenia. Blood 2011;117:4190–207.
22. Mazzucconi MG, Fazi P, Bernasconi S, et al. Therapy
with high-dose dexamethasone (HD-DXM) in previously untreated patients affected by idiopathic
thrombocytopenic purpura: a GIMEMA experience. Blood 2007;109:1401– 7.
23. Wei Y, Ji XB, Wang YW, et al. High-dose dexamethasone vs prednisone for treatment of adult
immune thrombocytopenia: a prospective multicenter randomized trial. Blood 2016;127:
24. Newman GC, Novoa MV, Fodero EM, et al. A
dose of 75 microg/kg/d of i.v. anti-D increases
the platelet count more rapidly and for a longer
period of time than 50 microg/kg/d in adults
with immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Br J
25. Gaines AR. Acute onset hemoglobinemia and/or
hemoglobinuria and sequelae following Rho(D)
immune globulin intravenous administration in
immune thrombocytopenic purpura patients.
26. Boruchov DM, Gururangan S, Driscoll MC, Bussel
JB. Multiagent induction and maintenance therapy
for patients with refractory immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP). Blood 2007;110:3526–31.
27. Spahr JE, Rodgers GM. Treatment of immune-mediated thrombocytopenia purpura with concurrent intravenous immunoglobulin and platelet
transfusion: a retrospective review of 40 patients.
Am J Hematol 2008;83:122–5.
28. Olson SR, Chu C, Shatzel JJ, Deloughery TG. The
“platelet boilermaker”: A treatment protocol to
rapidly increase platelets in patients with immune-mediated thrombocytopenia. Am J Hematol
29. Cooper N, Woloski BM, Fodero EM, et al. Does treatment with intermittent infusions of intravenous
anti-D allow a proportion of adults with recently
diagnosed immune thrombocytopenic purpura to
avoid splenectomy? Blood 2002;99:1922–7.
30. George JN, Raskob GE, Vesely SK, et al. Initial
management of immune thrombocytopenic purpura in adults: a randomized controlled trial comparing intermittent anti-D with routine care. Am J
Hematol 2003;74:161– 9.
31. Mikhael J, Northridge K, Lindquist K, et al.
Short-term and long-term failure of laparoscopic
splenectomy in adult immune thrombocytopenic purpura patients: a systematic review. Am J
32. Palandri F, Polverelli N, Sollazzo D, et al. Have
splenectomy rate and main outcomes of ITP
changed after the introduction of new treatments?
A monocentric study in the outpatient setting during 35 years. Am J Hematol 2016;91:E267–72.
33. Landgren O, Bjorkholm M, Konradsen HB, et
al. A prospective study on antibody response to
repeated vaccinations with pneumococcal capsular
polysaccharide in splenectomized individuals with
special reference to Hodgkin’s lymphoma. J Intern
34. Bisharat N, Omari H, Lavi I, Raz R. Risk of infection and death among post-splenectomy patients. J
Infect 2001;43:182– 6.
35. Mileno MD, Bia FJ. The compromised traveler.
Infect Dis Clin North Am 1998;12:369–412.
36. Guidelines for the prevention and treatment
of infection in patients with an absent or dysfunctional spleen. Working Party of the British
Committee for Standards in Haematology Clinical
Haematology Task Force. BMJ 1996;312:430–4.
37. Ericsson CD. Travellers with pre-existing medical
conditions. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2003;21:181– 8.
38. Tran H, Brighton T, Grigg A, et al. A multi-centre,
single-arm, open-label study evaluating the safety
and efficacy of fixed dose rituximab in patients
with refractory, relapsed or chronic idiopathic
thrombocytopenic purpura (R-ITP1000 study). Br
J Haematol 2014;167:243–51.
39. Mahevas M, Ebbo M, Audia S, et al. Efficacy and
safety of rituximab given at 1,000 mg on days 1
and 15 compared to the standard regimen to treat
adult immune thrombocytopenia. Am J Hematol
40. Arnold DM, Dentali F, Crowther MA, et al.
Systematic review: efficacy and safety of rituximab
for adults with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. Ann Intern Med 2007;146: 25–33.
41. Khellaf M, Charles-Nelson A, Fain O, et al. Safety
and efficacy of rituximab in adult immune thrombocytopenia: results from a prospective registry
including 248 patients. Blood 2014;124:3228–36.
42. Ghanima W, Khelif A, Waage A, et al. Rituximab
as second-line treatment for adult immune thrombocytopenia (the RITP trial): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.