6. Bower JE, Ganz PA, Aziz N. Altered cortisol response to
psychologic stress in breast cancer survivors with persistent
fatigue. Psychosom Med 2005;67:277–80.
7. Barsevick A, Frost M, Zwinderman A, et al. I’m so tired: biological and genetic mechanisms of cancer-related fatigue.
Qual Life Res 2010;19:1419–27.
8. Morrow GR, Hickok JT, Roscoe JA, et al. Differential effects
of paroxetine on fatigue and depression: a randomized,
double-blind trial from the University of Rochester Cancer
Center Community Clinical Oncology Program. J Clin
9. Fontes-Oliveira CC, Busquets S, Toledo M, et al. Mitochondrial and sarcoplasmic reticulum abnormalities in cancer
cachexia: altered energetic efficiency? Biochim Biophys
Acta 2013;1830:2770– 8.
10. Agteresch HJ, Dagnelie PC, van der Gaast A, et al. Randomized clinical trial of adenosine 5’-triphosphate in patients
with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. J Natl Cancer
Inst 2000;92:321– 8.
11. Beijer S, Hupperets PS, van den Borne BE, et al. Randomized clinical trial on the effects of adenosine 5’-triphos-
phate infusions on quality of life, functional status, and
fatigue in preterminal cancer patients. J Pain Symptom
12. Kisiel-Sajewicz K, Davis MP, Siemionow V, et al. Lack of muscle contractile property changes at the time of perceived
physical exhaustion suggests central mechanisms contributing to early motor task failure in patients with cancer-related fatigue. J Pain Symptom Manage 2012;44:351–61.
13. Ryan JL, Carroll JK, Ryan EP, et al. Mechanisms of cancer-related fatigue. Oncologist 2007; 12 Suppl 1: 22–34.
14. Seruga B, Zhang H, Bernstein LJ, Tannock IF. Cytokines
and their relationship to the symptoms and outcome of
cancer. Nat Rev Cancer 2008;8:887–99.
15. Wang XS, Giralt SA, Mendoza TR, et al. Clinical factors
associated with cancer-related fatigue in patients being
treated for leukemia and non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. J Clin
16. Collado-Hidalgo A, Bower JE, Ganz PA, et al. Inflammatory
biomarkers for persistent fatigue in breast cancer survivors.
Clin Cancer Res 2006;12:2759–66.
17. Wang XS, Shi Q, Williams LA, et al. Serum interleukin- 6
predicts the development of multiple symptoms at nadir of
allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Cancer
18. Inagaki M, Isono M, Okuyama T, et al. Plasma interleukin- 6
and fatigue in terminally ill cancer patients. J Pain Symptom Manage 2008;35:153–61.
19. Laird BJ, McMillan DC, Fayers P, et al. The systemic inflammatory response and its relationship to pain and other
symptoms in advanced cancer. Oncologist 2013;18:1050– 5.
20. Bower JE, Ganz PA, Irwin MR, et al. Inflammation and
behavioral symptoms after breast cancer treatment: do
fatigue, depression, and sleep disturbance share a common
underlying mechanism? J Clin Oncol 2011;29:3517–22.
21. Whistler T, Taylor R, Craddock RC, et al. Gene expression correlates of unexplained fatigue. Pharmacogenomics
22. Fagundes CP, Bennett JM, Alfano CM, et al. Social support and socioeconomic status interact to predict Epstein-Barr virus latency in women awaiting diagnosis or newly
diagnosed with breast cancer. Health Psychol 2012;31:
23. Landmark-Hoyvik H, Reinertsen KV, Loge JH, et al. Alterations of gene expression in blood cells associated with
chronic fatigue in breast cancer survivors. Pharmacogenomics J 2009;9:333–40.
24. Smith AK, Conneely KN, Pace TW, et al. Epigenetic
changes associated with inflammation in breast cancer
patients treated with chemotherapy. Brain Behav Immun
25. Kim S, Miller BJ, Stefanek ME, Miller AH. Inflamma-tion-induced activation of the indoleamine 2,3-dioxygen-
ase pathway: Relevance to cancer-related fatigue. Cancer
26. Mills PJ, Parker B, Dimsdale JE, et al. The relationship
between fatigue and quality of life and inflammation during anthracycline-based chemotherapy in breast cancer.
Biol Psychol 2005;69:85–96.
27. Jean-Pierre P, Figueroa-Moseley CD, Kohli S, et al. Assessment of cancer-related fatigue: implications for clinical diagnosis and treatment. Oncologist 2007; 12 Suppl
28. Wang XS, Zhao F, Fisch MJ, et al. Prevalence and characteristics of moderate to severe fatigue: a multicenter
study in cancer patients and survivors. Cancer 2014;120:
29. Mendoza TR, Wang XS, Cleeland CS, et al. The rapid
assessment of fatigue severity in cancer patients: use of the
Brief Fatigue Inventory. Cancer 1999;85:1186–96.
30. Mendoza ME, Capafons A, Gralow JR, et al. Randomized
controlled trial of the Valencia model of waking hypnosis
plus CBT for pain, fatigue, and sleep management in
patients with cancer and cancer survivors. Psychooncology
2016 Jul 28.
31. Glaus A. Assessment of fatigue in cancer and non-cancer
patients and in healthy individuals. Support Care Cancer
32. Seyidova-Khoshknabi D, Davis MP, Walsh D. A systematic
review of cancer-related fatigue measurement questionnaires. Am J Hosp Palliat Care 2011;28:119–29.
33. Holzner B, Kemmler G, Greil R, et al. The impact of
hemoglobin levels on fatigue and quality of life in cancer
patients. Ann Oncol 2002;13:965–73.
34. Stein KD, Jacobsen PB, Blanchard CM, Thors C. Further validation of the multidimensional fatigue symptom
inventory-short form. J Pain Symptom Manage 2004;27:
35. Hwang SS, Chang VT, Rue M, Kasimis B. Multidimensional
independent predictors of cancer-related fatigue. J Pain
Symptom Manage 2003;26:604–14.
36. Peterson DR. Scope and generality of verbally defined personality factors. Psychol Rev 1965;72:48–59.
37. Berger AM, Abernethy AP, Atkinson A, et al. NCCN Clinical
Practice Guidelines Cancer-related fatigue. J Natl Compr
Canc Netw 2010;8:904–31.
38. Crawford J, Cella D, Cleeland CS, et al. Relationship
between changes in hemoglobin level and quality of life
during chemotherapy in anemic cancer patients receiving
epoetin alfa therapy. Cancer 2002;95:888–95.
39. Tonia T, Mettler A, Robert N, et al. Erythropoietin or darbepoetin for patients with cancer. Cochrane Database Syst
40. Rizzo JD, Brouwers M, Hurley P, et al. American Society
of Hematology/American Society of Clinical Oncology
clinical practice guideline update on the use of epoetin