www.hpboardreview.com Hematology-Oncology Volume 12, Part 1 45
Soft Tissue Sarcoma: Diagnosis and Treatment
30. Suit HD, Mankin HJ, Wood WC, Proppe KH. Preoperative,
intraoperative, and postoperative radiation in the treatment of
primary soft tissue sarcoma. Cancer 1985;55:2659–67
31. O’Sullivan B, Davis AM, Turcotte R, et al. Preoperative versus
postoperative radiotherapy in soft-tissue sarcoma of the limbs:
a randomized trial. Lancet 2002;359:2235–41.
32. Yang J, Chang A, Baker A, et al. Randomized prospective study
of the benefit of adjuvant radiation therapy in the treatment of
soft tissue sarcomas of the extremity. J Clin Oncol 1998;16:197–
33. Pisters PW, Harrison LB, Leung DH, et al. Long-term results
of a prospective randomized trial of adjuvant brachytherapy in
soft tissue sarcoma. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:859–68.
34. Alektiar KM, Brennan MF, Healey JH, Singer S. Impact of
intensity-modulated radiation therapy on local control in
primary soft-tissue sarcoma of the extremity. J Clin Oncol
35. Gortzak E, Azzarelli A, Buesa J, et al. A randomized phase II
study on neo-adjuvant chemotherapy for ‘high-risk’ adult soft-tissue sarcoma. Eur J Cancer 2001;37:1096–1103.
36. Fakhari N, Ebm C, Kostler WJ, et al. Intensified adjuvant IF-ADIC chemotherapy in combination with radiotherapy versus
radiotherapy alone for soft tissue sarcoma: long-term follow-up
of a prospective randomized feasibility trial. Wein Klin Wochenschr 2010;122:614–9.
37. Adjuvant chemotherapy for localised resectable soft-tissue
sarcoma of adults: meta-analysis of individual data. Lancet
38. Gronchi A, Frustaci S, Mercuri M, et al. Short, full-dose adjuvant chemotherapy in high-risk adult soft tissue sarcomas: a
randomized clinical trial from the Italian Sarcoma Group and
the Spanish Sarcoma Group. J Clin Oncol 2012;30:850–56.
39. Pisters PW, Leung DH, Woodruff J. Analysis of prognostic factors in 1,041 patients with localized soft tissue sarcomas of the
extremities. J Clin Oncol 1996;14:1679–89.
40. Whooley B, Gibbs J, Mooney M. Primary Extremity Sarcoma:
What is the Appropriate Follow-up? Annals of Surg Oncol
2000; 7: 9-14.
41. Whooley BP, Mooney MN, Gibbs JF, Graybill WG. Effective
follow-up strategies in soft tissue sarcoma. Sem Surg Oncol
42. Billingsley KG, Burt ME, Jara E, et al. Pulmonary metastases
from soft tissue sarcoma: analysis of patterns of diseases and
postmetastasis survival. Ann Surg 1999;229:602–10.
43. Bramwell VH, Anderson D, Charette ML; Sarcoma Disease
Site Group. Doxorubicin-based chemotherapy for the palliative treatment of adult patients with locally advanced or
metastatic soft tissue sarcoma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev
44. Edmonson J, Ryan L, Blum R. Randomized comparison of
doxorubicin alone versus ifosfamide plus doxorubicin or mito-mycin, doxorubicin, and cisplatin against advanced soft tissue
sarcomas. J Clin Oncol 1993;11:1269–75.
45. Santoro A, Tursz T, Mouridsen H. Doxorubicin versus CYVAD-
IC versus doxorubicin plus ifosfamide in first-line treatment
of advanced soft tissue sarcomas: a randomized study of
the European Organization for Research and Treatment of
Cancer Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcoma Group. J Clin Oncol
46. Tap WD, Jones RL, Van Tine B, et al. Olaratumab and doxorubicin versus doxorubicin alone for treatment of soft-tissue
sarcoma: an open-label phase 1b and randomised phase 2 trial.
47. Borden EC, Amato DA, Rosenbaum C, et al. Randomized comparison of three adriamycin regimens for metastatic soft tissue
sarcomas. J Clin Oncol 1987;5:840–50.
48. Omura GA, Major FJ, Blessing JA, et al. A randomized study of
adriamycin with and without dimethyl triazenoimidazole car-boxamide in advanced uterine sarcomas. Cancer 1983;52:626–
49. Antman K, Crowley J, Balcerzak SP, et al. An intergroup phase
III randomized study of doxorubicin and dacarbazine with or
without ifosfamide and mesna in advanced soft tissue and bone
sarcomas. J Clin Oncol 1993;11:1276–85.
50. Maki R, Wathen K, Patel SR, et al. Randomized phase II study
of gemcitabine and docetaxel compared with gemcitabine
alone in patients with metastatic soft tissue sarcomas: results of
sarcoma alliance for research through collaboration study 002
[corrected]. J Clin Oncol 2007; 25: 2755–63.
51. Hensley ML, Maki R, Venkatraman E, et al. Gemcitabine and
docetaxel in patients with unresectable leiomyosarcoma: results of a phase II trial. J Clin Oncol 2002;12:2824–31.
52. Garcia-del-Muro X, Lopez-Pousa A, Maurel J, et al. Randomized phase II study comparing gemcitabine plus dacarbazine
versus dacarbazine alone in patients with previously treated
soft tissue sarcoma: a Spanish Group for Research on Sarcomas
study. J Clin Oncol 2011;29:2528–33.
53. Grosso F, Jones RL, Demetri GD, et al. Efficacy of trabectedin
(ecteinascidin-743) in advanced pretreated myxoid liposarcomas: a retrospective study. Lancet Oncol 2007;7:595–602.
54. Italiano A, Cioffi A, Penel N, et al. Comparison of doxorubicin
and weekly paclitaxel efficacy in metastatic angiosarcomas.
55. Penel N, Italiano A, Ray-Coquard I, et al. Metastatic angiosarcomas: doxorubicin-based regimens, weekly paclitaxel and
metastasectomy significantly improve outcome. Ann Oncol
56. Samuels BL, Chawla S, Patel S, et al. Clinical outcomes and
safety with trabectedin therapy in patients with advanced soft
tissue sarcomas following failure of prior chemotherapy: results
of a worldwide expanded access program study. Ann Oncol
57. Schöffski P, Ray-Coquard IL, Cioffi A, et al. Activity of eribulin
mesylate in patients with soft-tissue sarcoma: a phase 2 study in
four independent histolical subtypes. Lancet 2011;11:1045–52.
58. Van der Graaf W, Blay JY, Chawla S, et al. Pazopanib for metastatic soft-tissue sarcoma (PALETTE): a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 3 trial. Lancet 2012;379:1879–
59. Dileo P, Morgan JA, Zahrieh D, et al. Gemcitabine and
vinorelbine combination chemotherapy for patients with advanced soft tissue sarcomas: results of a phase II trial. Cancer