14. O’Malley RL, Godoy G, Kanofsky JA, Taneja SS. The necessity of adrenalectomy at the time of radical nephrectomy:
a systematic review. J Urol 2009;181:2009–17.
15. McDougal S, Wein AJ, Kavoussi LR, et al. Campbell-Walsh
Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia (PA): Saunders; 2012.
16. Colombo JR Jr, Haber GP, Kelovsek JE, et al. Seven years
after laparoscopic radical nephrectomy: oncologic and
renal functional outcomes. Urology 2008:71:1149–54.
17. Ferlay J, Steliarova-Foucher E, Lortet-Tieulent J, et al.
Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in Europe: estimates for 40 countries in 2012. Eur J Ca 2013;49:
18. Weight CJ, Larson BT, Fergany AF, et al. Nephrectomy
induced chronic renal insufficiency is associated with increased risk of cardiovascular death and death from any
cause in patients with localized c T1b renal masses. J Urol
19. Van Poppel H, Da Pozzo L, Albrecht W, et al. A prospective, randomized EORTC intergroup phase 3 study comparing the oncologic outcome of elective nephron-sparing
surgery and radical nephrectomy for low-stage renal cell
carcinoma. Eur Urol 2011;59:543–52.
20. Smaldone MC, Fung C, Uzzo RG, Hass NB. Adjuvant and
neoadjuvant therapies in high-risk renal cell carcioma.
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2011;25:765–91.
21. NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology. Version
3.2016. www.nccn.org. Accessed July 13, 2016
22. El Dib R, Touma NJ, Kapoor A. Cryoablation vs radiofrequency ablation for the treatment of renal cell carcinoma: a meta-amalysis of case series studies. BJU Int
23. Theodorescu D. Cancer cryotherapy: evolution and biology. Rev Urol 2004; 6 Suppl 4:S9–S19.
24. Khiatani V, Dixon RG. Renal ablation update. Sem Intervent Radiol 2014;31:157–66.
25. Yu J, Liang P, Yu XL, et al. US-guided percutaneous microwave ablation of renal cell carcinoma: intermediate-term
results. Radiol 2012;263:900– 8.
26. Castle SM, Salas N, Leveillee RJ. Initial experience using
microwave ablation therapy for renal tumor treatment: 18-
month follow-up. Urology 2011;77:792–7.
27. Pech M, Janitzky A, Wendler JJ, et al. Irreversible electroporation of renal cell carcinoma: a first-in-man phase I
clinical study. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol 2011;34:132–8.
28. Chow WH, Devesa SS, Warren JL, Fraumeni JF Jr. Rising
incidence of renal cell cancer in the United States. JAMA
29. Jayson M, Sanders H. Increased incidence of serendipitously discovered renal cell carcinoma. Urology 1998;51:203–5.
30. Pierorazio PM, Johnson MH, Ball MW, et al. Five-year
analysis of a multi-institutional prospective clinical trial
of delayed intervention and surveillance for small renal
masses: the DISSRM registry. Eur Urol 2015;68:408–15.
31. Jewett MA, Mattar K, Basiuk J, et al. Active surveillance
of small renal masses: progression patterns of early stage
kidney cancer. Eur Urol 2011;60: 39–44.
32. Chawla SN, Crispen PL, Hanlon AL, et al. The natural
history of observed enhancing renal masses: meta-analysis
and review of the world literature. J Urol 2006;175:425–31.
33. Smaldone MC, Kutikov A, Egleston BL, et al. Small renal
masses progressing to metastases under active surveil-
lance: a systematic review and pooled analysis. Cancer
34. Williamson TJ, Pearson JR, Ischia J, et al.Guideline of
guidelines: follow-up after nephrectomy for renal cell car-
cinoma. BJU Int 2016;117:555–62.
35. Donat S, Diaz M, Bishoff JT, et al. Follow-up for clini-
cally localized renal neoplasms: AUA Guideline. J Urol
36. Janzen NK, Kim HL, Figlin RA, Bell-degrun AS. Surveil-
lance after radical or partial nephrectomy for localized
renal cell carcinoma and management of recurrent dis-
ease. Urol Clin North Am 2003:30:843–52.
37. Gupta K, Miller JD, Li JZ, Russell MW, Charbonneau C.
Epidemiologic and socio-economic burden of metastatic
renal cell carcinoma (mRCC): a literature review. Cancer
Treat Rev 2008;34:193–205.
38. Mekhail T, Abou-Jawde R, Boumerhi G, et al. Validation
and extension of the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Prognos-
tic Factors Model for Survival in patients with previously
untreated metastatic renal cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol
39. Motzer RJ, Bacik J, Murphy BA, et al. Interferon-alfa as
a comparative treatment for clinical trials of new thera-
pies against advanced renal cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol
40. Motzer RJ, Mazumdar M, Bacik J, et al. Survival and prog-
nostic stratification of 670 patients with advanced renal cell
carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 1999;17:2530–40.
41. Heng DY, Xie W, Regan MM. Prognostic factors for overall
survival in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma
treated with vascular endothelial growth factor-targeted
agents: results from a large, multicenter study. J Clin Oncol
42. Leibovich BC, Han KR, Bui MH, et al. Scoring algorithm
to predict survival after nephrectomy and immunother-
apy in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma: A
stratification tool for prospective clinical trials. Cancer
43. Flanigan RC, Mickisch G, Sylvester R, et al. Cytoreductive
nephrectomy in patients with metastatic renal cancer: a
combined analysis. J Urol 2004;171:1071–6.
44. Choueiri TK, Xie W, Kollmannsberger C, et al. The impact
of cytoreductive nephrectomy on survival of patients with
metastatic renal cell carcinoma receiving vascular endothe-
lial growth factor targeted therapy. J Urol 2011;185:60– 6.
45. Chapin BF, Delacroix SE Jr, Culp SH, et al. Safety of presurgical targeted therapy in the setting of metastatic renal
cell carcinoma. Eur Urol 2011;60:964–71.
46. Hutson TE, Lesovoy V, Al-Shukri S, et al. Axitinib versus
sorafenib as first-line therapy in patients with metastatic
renal-cell carcinoma: a randomized open-label phase 3
trial. Lancet Oncol 2013;14:1287–94.
47. Escudier B, Pluzanska A, Koralewski P, et al. Bevacizumab
plus interferon alfa-2a for treatment of metatastic renal
cell carcinoma: a randomized, double-blind phase III trial.
48. Escudier B, Bellmunt J, Negrier S, et al. Phase III trial of
bevacizumab plus interferon alfa-2a in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma (AVOREN): final analysis of
overall survival. J Clin Oncol 2010;28:2144–50.
49. McDermott DF, Cheng SC, Signoretti S, et al. The high-dose aldesleukin “select”trial: a trial to prospectively validate predictive models of response to treatment in patients
with metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res