63. King A, Shenoy S. Evidence-based focused review of the status of hematopoietic stem cell transplantation as treatment
of sickle cell disease and thalassemia. Blood 2014;123:3089–
64. Oringanje C, Nemecek E, Oniyangi O. Hematopoietic
stem cell transplantation for people with sickle cell disease.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013;5:CD007001.
65. Freed J, Talano J, Small T, et al. Allogeneic cellular and
autologous stem cell therapy for sickle cell disease: ‘whom,
when and how’. Bone Marrow Transplant 2012;47:1489–98.
66. Urbinati F, Hargrove PW, Geiger S, et al. Potentially therapeutic levels of anti-sickling globin gene expression following lentivirus-mediated gene transfer in sickle cell disease
bone marrow CD34 cells. Exp Hematol 2015;43:346–51.
67. Brugnara C, Mohandas N. Red cell indices in classification
and treatment of anemias: from M.M. Wintrobes’s original
1934 classification to the third millennium. Curr Opin Hematol 2013;20:222–30.
68. Key NS, Derebail VK. Sickle-cell trait: novel clinical significance. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program
69. Kark JA, Posey DM, Schumacher HR, Ruehle CJ. Sickle-cell
trait as a risk factor for sudden death in physical training. N
Engl J Med 1987;317:781–7.
70. Goldsmith JC, Bonham VL, Joiner CH, et al. Framing the
research agenda for sickle cell trait: building on the current
understanding of clinical events and their potential implications. Am J Hematol 2012;87:340– 6.
71. Grant AM, Parker CS, Jordan LB, et al. Public health implications of sickle cell trait: a report of the CDC meeting. Am
J Prev Med 2011;41:S435–9.
72. Ballas SK, Lusardi M. Hospital readmission for adult acute
sickle cell painful episodes: frequency, etiology, and prognostic significance. Am J Hematol 2005;79: 17–25.
73. Serjeant GR, Ceulaer CD, Lethbridge R, et al. The painful
crisis of homozygous sickle cell disease: clinical features. Br
J Haematol 1994;87:586–91.
74. Vichinsky EP, Johnson R, Lubin BH. Multidisciplinary approach to pain management in sickle cell disease. Am J
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 1982;4:328–33.
75. Gil KM, Carson JW, Porter LS, et al. Daily mood and stress
predict pain, health care use, and work activity in African
American adults with sickle-cell disease. Health Psychol
76. Amjad H, Bannerman RM, Judisch JM. Letter: Sickling
pain and season. Br Med J 1974;2:54.
77. Ibrahim AS. Relationship between meteorological changes
and occurrence of painful sickle cell crises in Kuwait. Trans
R Soc Trop Med Hyg 1980;74:159–61.
78. Jones S, Duncan ER, Thomas N, et al. Windy weather and
low humidity are associated with an increased number of
hospital admissions for acute pain and sickle cell disease in
an urban environment with a maritime temperate climate.
Br J Haematol 2005;131:530–3.
79. Resar LM, Oski FA. Cold water exposure and vaso-occlusive
crises in sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr 1991;118:407–9.
80. Darbari DS, Ballas SK, Clauw DJ. Thinking beyond sickling
to better understand pain in sickle cell disease. Eur J Haematol 2014;93:89–95.
81. Darbari DS, Onyekwere O, Nouraie M, et al. Markers of
severe vaso-occlusive painful episode frequency in children and adolescents with sickle cell anemia. J Pediatr
82. Hollins M, Stonerock GL, Kisaalita NR, et al. Detecting
the emergence of chronic pain in sickle cell disease. J Pain
Symptom Manage 2012;43:1082–93.
83. Ballas SK, Darbari DS. Neuropathy, neuropathic pain, and
sickle cell disease. Am J Hematol 2013;88:927–9.
84. Brandow AM, Farley RA, Panepinto JA. Early insights into
the neurobiology of pain in sickle cell disease: A systematic
review of the literature. Pediatr Blood Cancer 2015 May 13.
doi: 10.1002/pbc.25574. [Epub ahead of print].
85. Brandow AM, Farley RA, Panepinto JA. Neuropathic pain
in patients with sickle cell disease. Pediatr Blood Cancer
86. Brandow AM, Farley RA, Dasgupta M, et al. The use of
neuropathic pain drugs in children with sickle cell disease
is associated with older age, female sex, and longer length
of hospital stay. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2015;37: 10–5.
87. Walker TM, Hambleton IR, Serjeant GR. Gallstones in
sickle cell disease: observations from The Jamaican Cohort
study. J Pediatr 2000;136:80– 5.
88. Penner E, Mayr WR, Djawan S, et al. [The genetics of Gilbert syndrome]. Schweiz Med Wochenschr 1976;106:860– 2.
89. Powell RW, Levine GL, Yang YM, Mankad VN. Acute splenic sequestration crisis in sickle cell disease: early detection
and treatment. J Pediatr Surg 1992;27:215–8.
90. Al Salem AH, Qaisaruddin S, Nasserullah Z, et al. Splenectomy and acute splenic sequestration crises in sickle cell
disease. Pediatr Surg Int 1996;11: 26–8.
91. Pearson HA, Spencer RP, Cornelius EA. Functional asplenia
in sickle-cell anemia. N Engl J Med 1969;281:923–6.
92. Wang WC, Ware RE, Miller ST, et al. Hydroxycarbamide
in very young children with sickle-cell anaemia: a multi-centre, randomised, controlled trial (BABY HUG). Lancet
93. Brousse V, Buffet P, Rees D. The spleen and sickle cell disease: the sick(led) spleen. Br J Haematol 2014;166:165–76.
94. Orringer EP, Fowler VG Jr, Owens CM, et al. Case report:
splenic infarction and acute splenic sequestration in adults
with hemoglobin SC disease. Am J Med Sci 1991;302:374–9.
95. Michel JB, Hernandez JA, Buchanan GR. A fatal case of
acute splenic sequestration in a 53–year-old woman with
sickle-hemoglobin C disease. Am J Med 1992;92:97–100.
96. Hatton CS, Bunch C, Weatherall DJ. Hepatic sequestration in sickle cell anaemia. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed)
97. Castro O, Brambilla DJ, Thorington B, et al. The acute
chest syndrome in sickle cell disease: incidence and risk
factors. The Cooperative Study of Sickle Cell Disease. Blood
98. Gill FM, Sleeper LA, Weiner SJ, et al. Clinical events in
the first decade in a cohort of infants with sickle cell
disease. Cooperative Study of Sickle Cell Disease. Blood
99. Owusu-Ofori S, Hirst C. Splenectomy versus conservative management for acute sequestration crises in people with sickle cell disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev
100. Al-Salem AH. Splenic complications of sickle cell
anemia and the role of splenectomy. ISRN Hematol
101. Sabarense AP, Lima GO, Silva LM, Viana MB. Characterization of mortality in children with sickle cell disease diag-