12 Hospital Physician Board Review Manual www.turner-white.com
21. Spiers AS, Bain BJ, Turner JE. The peripheral blood in
chronic granulocytic leukaemia. Study of 50 untreated Philadelphia-positive cases. Scand J Haematol 1977;18:25–38.
22. Vardiman JW, Harris NL, Brunning RD. The World Health
Organization (WHO) classification of the myeloid neoplasms. Blood 2002;100:2292–302.
23. Sokal JE, Cox EB, Baccarani M, et al. Prognostic discrimination in ‘good-risk’ chronic granulocytic leukemia. Blood
24. Hasford J, Pfirrmann M, Hehlmann R, et al. A new prognostic score for survival of patients with chronic myeloid
leukemia treated with interferon alfa. Writing Committee for
the Collaborative CML Prognostic Factors Project Group. J
Natl Cancer Inst 1998;90:850– 8.
25. Hoffmann VS, Baccarani M, Lindoerfer D, et al. The
EUTOS prognostic score: review and validation in 1288
patients with CML treated frontline with imatinib. Leukemia
26. Deininger M. Resistance and relapse with imatinib in CML:
causes and consequences. J Natl Compr Canc Netw
2008; 6 Suppl 2:S11–S21.
27. Marin D, Ibrahim AR, Lucas C, et al. Assessment of BCR-
ABL1 transcript levels at 3 months is the only requirement
for predicting outcome for patients with chronic myeloid
leukemia treated with tyrosine kinase inhibitors. J Clin
28. Brümmendorf TH, Cortes JE, de Souza CA, et al. Bosutinib versus imatinib in newly diagnosed chronic-phase
chronic myeloid leukaemia: results from the 24-month
follow-up of the BELA trial. Br J Haematol 2015;168:69–81.
29. O’Brien SG, Guilhot F, Larson RA, et al; IRIS Investigators.
Imatinib compared with interferon and low-dose cytarabine
for newly diagnosed chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukemia. N Engl J Med 2003;348:994–1004.
30. Guilhot F, Druker B, Larson RA, et al. High rates of durable
response are achieved with imatinib after treatment with
interferon alpha plus cytarabine: results from the International Randomized Study of Interferon and STI571 (IRIS)
trial. Haematologica 2009;94:1669–75.
31. Cortes JE, Baccarani M, Guilhot F, et al. Phase III, randomized, open-label study of daily imatinib mesylate 400 mg
versus 800 mg in patients with newly diagnosed, previously
untreated chronic myeloid leukemia in chronic phase using
molecular end points: tyrosine kinase inhibitor optimization
and selectivity study. J Clin Oncol 2010;28:424–30.
32. Baccarani M, Druker BJ, Branford S, et al. Long-term
response to imatinib is not affected by the initial dose in
patients with Philadelphia chromosome-positive chronic
myeloid leukemia in chronic phase: final update from the
Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Optimization and Selectivity
(TOPS) study. Int J Hematol 2014;99:616–24.
33. Ibrahim AR, Eliasson L, Apperley JF, et al. Poor adherence
is the main reason for loss of CCyR and imatinib failure for
chronic myeloid leukemia patients on long-term therapy.
Blood 2011; 117:3733–6.
34. Noens L, van Lierde MA, De Bock R, et al. Prevalence,
determinants, and outcomes of nonadherence to imatinib
therapy in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia: the
ADAGIO study. Blood 2009;113:5401–11.
35. Shah NP, Nicoll JM, Nagar B, et al. Multiple BCR-ABL
kinase domain mutations confer polyclonal resistance to
the tyrosine kinase inhibitor imatinib (STI571) in chronic
phase and blast crisis chronic myeloid leukemia. Cancer
36. Jabbour E, Hochhaus A, Cortes J, La Rosée P, Kantarjian HM. Choosing the best treatment strategy for chronic
myeloid leukemia patients resistant to imatinib: weighing
the efficacy and safety of individual drugs with BCR-ABL
mutations and patient history. Leukemia 2010;24: 6–12.
37. Baccarani M,Soverini S, De Benedittis C. Molecular monitoring and mutations in chronic myeloid leukemia: how to
get the most out of your tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Am Soc
Clin Oncol Educ Book 2014: 167–75.
38. Hochhaus A, Kantarjian H. The development of dasatinib
as a treatment for chronic myeloid leukemia (CML): from
initial studies to application in newly diagnosed patients. J
Cancer Res Clin Oncol 2013;139:1971–84.
39. Ma L, Shan Y, Bai R, L, et al. A therapeutically tar-getable mechanism of BCR-ABL-independent imatinib
resistance in chronic myeloid leukemia. Sci Transl Med
40. Jamieson CHM, Ailles LE, Dylla SJ, et al. Granulocyte-macrophage progenitors as candidate leukemic stem cells
in blast-crisis CML. N Engle J Med 2004;351:657–67.
41. Lindauer M, Hochhaus A. Dasatinib. Recent Results Cancer Res 2014;201:27–65.
42. Apperley JF, Cortes JE, Kim DW, et al. Dasatinib in the
treatment of chronic myeloid leukemia in accelerated
phase after imatinib failure: the START a trial. J Clin Oncol
43. Kantarjian H, Pasquini R, Hamerschlak N, et al. Dasatinib
or high-dose imatinib for chronic-phase chronic myeloid
leukemia after failure of first-line imatinib: a randomized
phase 2 trial. Blood 2007;109:5143–50.
44. Montani D, Bergot E, Günther S, et al. Pulmonary arterial
hypertension in patients treated by dasatinib. Circulation
45. Jabbour E, Kantarjian HM, Saglio G, et al. Early response
with dasatinib or imatinib in chronic myeloid leukemia:
3-year follow-up from a randomized phase 3 trial (
DASISION). Blood 2014;123:494–500.
46. Brazzelli V, Grasso V, Borroni G. Imatinib, dasatinib and