1. Posner JB, Chernik NL. Intracranial metastases from systemic cancer. Adv Neurol 1978;19:579–92.
2. Sawaya R, Ligon BL, Bindal RK. Management of metastatic brain tumors. Ann Surg Oncol 1994;1:169–78.
3. Posner JB. Neurologic complications of cancer. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis; 1995.
4. Schellinger PD, Meinck HM, Thron A. Diagnostic accuracy
of MRI compared to CCT in patients with brain metastases. J Neurooncol 1999;44:275–81.
5. Gaspar L, Scott C, Rotman M, et al. Recursive partitioning analysis (RPA) of prognostic factors in three Radiation
Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) brain metastases trials.
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1997;37:745–51.
6. Sperduto PW, Berkey B, Gaspar LE, et al. A new prognostic index and comparison to three other indices for
patients with brain metastases: an analysis of 1,960 patients in the RTOG database. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys
7. Sperduto PW, Kased N, Roberge D, et al. Summary report
on the graded prognostic assessment: an accurate and
facile diagnosis-specific tool to estimate survival for patients with brain metastases. J Clin Oncol 2012;30:419–25.
8. Tham YL, Sexton K, Kramer R, et al. Primary breast
cancer phenotypes associated with propensity for central
nervous system metastases. Cancer 2006;107:696–704.
9. Ryberg M, Nielsen D, Osterlind K, et al. Predictors of central nervous system metastasis in patients with metastatic
breast cancer. A competing risk analysis of 579 patients
treated with epirubicin-based chemotherapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2005;91:217–25.
10. Grewal J, Kesari S. Breast cancer surface receptors predict risk for developing brain metastasis and subsequent
prognosis. Breast Cancer Res 2008;10:104.
11. Ferretti G, Felici A, Papaldo P, et al. HER2/neu role in
breast cancer: from a prognostic foe to a predictive friend.
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 2007;19:56–62.
12. Hicks DG, Short SM, Prescott NL, et al. Breast cancers
with brain metastases are more likely to be estrogen
receptor negative, express the basal cytokeratin CK5/6,
and overexpress HER2 or EGFR. Am J Surg Pathol
13. Sorlie T, Perou CM, Tibshirani R, et al. Gene expression
patterns of breast carcinomas distinguish tumor sub-classes with clinical implications. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S
14. Patchell RA, Tibbs PA, Walsh JW, et al. A randomized trial
of surgery in the treatment of single metastases to the
brain. N Engl J Med 1990;322:494–500.
15. Vecht CJ, Haaxma-Reiche H, Noordijk EM, et al. Treatment
of single brain metastasis: radiotherapy alone or combined
with neurosurgery? Ann Neurol 1993;33:583–90.
16. Noordijk EM, Vecht CJ, Haaxma-Reiche H, et al. The
choice of treatment of single brain metastasis should be
based on extracranial tumor activity and age. Int J Radiat
Oncol Biol Phys 1994;29:711–7.
17. Mintz AH, Kestle J, Rathbone MP, et al. A randomized trial
to assess the efficacy of surgery in addition to radiotherapy in patients with a single cerebral metastasis. Cancer
18. Hart MG, Grant R, Walker M, Dickinson H. Surgical resection and whole brain radiation therapy versus whole
brain radiation therapy alone for single brain metastases.
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2005( 1):CD003292.
19. Bindal RK, Sawaya R, Leavens ME, Lee JJ. Surgical
treatment of multiple brain metastases. J Neurosurg
20. Bindal RK, Sawaya R, Leavens ME, Hess KR, Taylor SH.
Reoperation for recurrent metastatic brain tumors. J Neurosurg 1995;83:600– 4.
21. Kano H, Kondziolka D, Zorro O, et al. The results of resection after stereotactic radiosurgery for brain metastases. J
22. Chao JH, Phillips R, Nickson JJ. Roentgen-ray therapy of
cerebral metastases. Cancer 1954;7:682–9.
23. Horton J, Baxter DH, Olson KB. The management of metastases to the brain by irradiation and corticosteroids. Am
J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med 1971;111:334–6.
24. Patchell RA, Tibbs PA, Regine WF, et al. Postoperative
radiotherapy in the treatment of single metastases to the
brain: a randomized trial. JAMA 1998;280:1485–9.
25. Sneed PK, Suh JH, Goetsch SJ, et al. A multi-institutional
review of radiosurgery alone vs. radiosurgery with whole
brain radiotherapy as the initial management of brain metastases. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2002;53:519–26.
26. Aoyama H, Shirato H, Tago M, et al. Stereotactic radiosurgery plus whole-brain radiation therapy vs stereotactic
radiosurgery alone for treatment of brain metastases: a
randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2006;295:2483–91.
27. Kocher M, Soffietti R, Abacioglu U. Adjuvant whole-brain
radiotherapy versus observation after radiosurgery or
surgical resection of one to three cerebral metastases:
results of the EORTC 22952-26001 study. J Clin Oncol
28. Regine WF, Huhn JL, Patchell RA, et al. Risk of symptomatic brain tumor recurrence and neurologic deficit after
radiosurgery alone in patients with newly diagnosed brain
metastases: results and implications. Int J Radiat Oncol
Biol Phys 2002;52:333–8.
29. Regine WF, Scott C, Murray K, Curran W. Neurocognitive
outcome in brain metastases patients treated with ac-