malignant carcinoid syndrome: evaluation of a long-acting
somatostatin analog. N Engl J Med 1986;315:663–6.
44. O’Toole D, Ducreux M, Bommelaer G, et al. Treatment of
carcinoid syndrome: A prospective crossover evaluation
of lanreotide versus octreotide in terms of efficacy, patient
acceptability, and tolerance. Cancer 2000;88:770– 6.
45. Kinney MA, Warner ME, Nagorney DM, et al. Perianaes-thetic risks and outcomes of abdominal surgery for metastatic carcinoid tumours. Br J Anaesth 2001;87:447–52.
46. Cho CS, Labow DM, Tang L, et al. Histologic grade is correlated with outcome after resection of hepatic neuroendocrine neoplasms. Cancer 2008;113:126–34.
47. Gaujoux S, Gonen M, Tang L, et al. Synchronous resection of primary and liver metastases for neuroendocrine
tumors. Ann Surg Oncol 2012;19:4270– 7.
48. Osborne DA, Zervos EE, Strosberg J, et al. Improved outcome with cytoreduction versus embolization for symptomatic hepatic metastases of carcinoid and neuroendocrine
tumors. Ann Surg Oncol 2006;13:572–81.
49. Sarmiento JM, Que FG. Hepatic surgery for metastases
from neuroendocrine tumors. Surg Oncol Clin North Am
50. Touzios JG, Kiely JM, Pitt SC, et al. Neuroendocrine hepatic metastases: does aggressive management improve
survival? Ann Surg 2005;241:776-83.
51. Gedaly R, Daily MF, Davenport D, et al. Liver transplantation for the treatment of liver metastases from neuroendocrine tumors: an analysis of the UNOS database. Arch
52. Lang H, Oldhafer KJ, Weimann A, et al. Liver transplantation for metastatic neuroendocrine tumors. Ann Surg
53. Le Treut YP, Delpero JR, Dousset B, et al. Results of liver
transplantation in the treatment of metastatic neuroendocrine tumors. A 31-case French multicentric report. Ann
54. Gupta S, Yao J, Ahrar K, et al. Hepatic artery embolization and chemoembolization for treatment of patients with
metastatic carcinoid tumors: the MD Anderson experience.
Cancer J 2003;9:261–7.
55. Kennedy AS, Dezarn WA, McNeillie P, et al. Radioembo-lization for unresectable neuroendocrine hepatic metastases using resin 90Y-microspheres: early results in 148
patients. Am J Clin Oncol 2008;31:271–9.
56. Ruszniewski P, Rougier P, Roche A, et al. Hepatic arterial
chemoembolization in patients with liver metastases of endocrine tumors. A prospective phase II study in 24 patients.
57. Christante D, Pommier S, Givi B, Pommier R. Hepatic
artery chemoinfusion with chemoembolization for neuro-
endocrine cancer with progressive hepatic metastases
despite octreotide therapy. Surgery 2008;144:885–93.
58. Lewis MA, Jaramillo S, Roberts L, et al. Hepatic artery embolization for neuroendocrine tumors: postprocedural management and complications. Oncologist 2012;17:725–31.
59. Rinke A, Muller HH, Schade-Brittinger C, et al. Placebo-controlled, double-blind, prospective, randomized study on
the effect of octreotide LAR in the control of tumor growth
in patients with metastatic neuroendocrine midgut tumors:
a report from the PROMID Study Group. J Clin Oncol
60. Schmid HA, Schoeffter P. Functional activity of the mul-tiligand analog SOM230 at human recombinant somatostatin receptor subtypes supports its usefulness in neuroendocrine tumors. Neuroendocrinology 2004;80 Suppl
61. Kvols L, Wiedenmann B, Oberg K, et al. Safety and efficacy of pasireotide (SOM230) in patients with metastatic
carcinoid tumors refractory or resistant to octreotide LAR:
Results of a phase II study. JCO (2006 ASCO Annual
Meeting Proceedings; Post-Meeting Edition). 24:(June 20
62. Oberg K, Funa K, Alm G. Effects of leukocyte interferon
on clinical symptoms and hormone levels in patients with
mid-gut carcinoid tumors and carcinoid syndrome. N Engl
J Med 1983;309:129–33.
63. Frank M, Klose K, Wied M, et al. Combination therapy with
octreotide and alpha-interferon: Effect on tumor growth in
metastatic endocrine gastroenteropancreatic tumors. Am J
64. Janson E, Oberg K. Long-term management of the carcinoid syndrome: treatment with octreotide alone and in combination with alpha-interferon. Acta Oncol 1993;32:225–9.
65. Oberg K, Eriksson B. The role of interferons in the management of carcinoid tumors. Acta Oncol 1991;30:519–22.
66. Kolby L, Persson G, Franzen S, Ahren B. Randomized
clinical trial of the effect of interferon alpha on survival in
patients with disseminated midgut carcinoid tumours. Br J
67. Faiss S, Pape U, Bohmig M, et al. Prospective, randomized
multicenter trial on the antiproliferative effect of lanreotide,
interferon alpha, and their combination for therapy of metastatic neuroendocrine gastroenteropancreatic tumors-the
International Lanreotide and Interferon Alpha Study Group.
J Clin Oncol 2003;21:2689–96.
68. Arnold R, Rinke A, Klose KJ, et al. Octreotide versus
octreotide plus interferon-alpha in endocrine gastroenteropancreatic tumors: a randomized trial. Clin Gastroenterol
69. Sun W, Lipsitz S, Catalano P, et al. Phase II/III study of
doxorubicin with fluorouracil compared with streptozocin
with fluorouracil or dacarbazine in the treatment of ad-